Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dior 5 Couleurs Couture Eyeshadow Palette :: 754 Rosy Tan

When I was in the market for my first Dior eyeshadow quint during last fall's Friends & Family Sale at Sephora, I deliberated quite a long time before choosing the 754 in Rosy Tan ($59).  Mind you Sephora does not carry the full range of Dior's eyeshadow quints but from the offerings that I saw on their website, I went with the most wearable and neutral palette that I felt I would get the most use out of.

New, out of the box.  Notice the gorgeous quilted embossing on the powder.  Taken indoors near a window.

I am a professed neutrals girl and this quint spoke to my pragmatic side.  There are five shades that do not have their own individual names so I took the liberty of arbitrarily numbering them to make discussion easier.


After being used a few times.  Taken outside in direct sunlight. 

Shade 1:  is a frosty, pale pink that looks more pigmented in the pan than when swatched.   It is also more chalky than the other colors and the one that I was most disappointed in.

Shade 2:  is a beautiful deep brown with a plum undertone and multi-colored, fine shimmers.  The color is rich and the texture is buttery when swatched.

Shade 3:  looks like a flat taupe in the pan but when swatched, ultra-fine shimmers show up.  On my lids the shimmers are not noticeable, but you can see them in the swatch below.

Shade 4:  is a gorgeous, golden, brown taupe.  This unlike the other shades has a metallic finish which is very pretty on the eye.

Shade 5:  is a frosty, pearly white highlight shade.  Just like shade 1, I was slightly disappointed in this color but only in the finish and not in the lack of pigmentation as I was in shade 1.


Close-up showing the shimmers in each shade.

What I liked about this palette was the fact that it was a neutrals palette with a pop of color. Unfortunately the pop of color shade was not up to the same quality as the other shades in the palette.  If Dior had made the pink shade more pigmented, then this quint would have been a solid winner.

Perhaps on paler complexions the pink might have worked better but despite this, I am still pleased with this purchase.  The other shades are beautiful and very wearable (albeit, shade 5 would have to be applied with a light hand to prevent it from coming off too frosty). 

I love how this palette has a highlight shade (5), two eyelid shades (2 & 4), a nice transitional shade (3) and a pop of color shade (1).  Overall, it is a well thought out palette, with slight improvements needed.

Overall Grade:   B+

No comments:

Post a Comment