Saturday, January 14, 2012

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters | First Impressions


Taken in natural light.  Notice the scraping on the bullet of the Candy Apple. That was a new, never used lipstick.

I think the whole world must be in love with these lip butters because they have been very difficult to find.  I finally got my hands on these babies a few days ago at my local Ulta.  They were running a special buy one get one half off on their Revlon products.  These usually retail for somewhere between $7-8 depending on where you buy them.

There are a total of 20  shades but I only grabbed 4 because many of the shades were out of stock.  Luckily, these were 4 of the shades that I was interested in.  I might go back and get 1 or 2 more later if they come back in stock.  Don't fret if you cannot find these lippies at your local drugstores because these are not limited editions and should be more readily available once the buzz has died down a bit.



First of all, I adore the packaging.  I think drugstore beauty brands have really stepped up their game and are zoning in on department store brands in regards to looks and quality.  The cap is a semi-transparent quilted plastic that is the color of the shade of the lipstick it contains.  It also has a little window so that you can see what the color of the lipstick looks like inside (which I appreciate).  Taking the cap off, the lipstick itself has a shape that is very reminiscent of the Dior Addict High Shine lipstick (which I do not own). 

These colors range from very sheer/light (Creme Brulee) to super pigmented (Red Velvet).  They are billed as a "lip butter" and true to their name, they are very moisturizing.  They are so soft that the lipstick bullet itself may get smooshed if you are not careful when applying them to your lips.

Swatched on arm in natural light.
The 4 shades that I own are, 25-Peach Parfait, 35-Candy Apple, 50-Berry Smoothie and 75-Lollipop.  Peach Parfait is a peachy, pink with a lot of sparkles.  Candy Apple is a transparent orange, red color with no sparkles.  Berry Smoothie is neutral, medium pink shade with no sparkles.  And finally Lollipop is a medium, cool pink with a blue undertone and no sparkles.   I would best describe Lollipop as a cool, blue-toned mauve.

These lip butters are definitely for someone who enjoys the pigmentation of a lipstick but wants the moisture of a lip balm.  I say they are a definite purchase if you are looking for the best of both worlds.

Overall Grade:  A-

No comments:

Post a Comment